Minutes for CentOS Board of Directors for 2021-08-11

Wednesday , 18, August 2021 2 Comments

(Video of the meeting is available on YouTube.)

Attendees

Board members

  • Pat Riehecky
  • Brian Exelbierd
  • Davide Cavalca
  • Johnny Hughes
  • Jim Perrin
  • Mike McLean
  • Rich Bowen (Chair)
  • Thomas Oulevey (Secretary)

Directors Absent

  • Josh Boyer
  • Tru Huyhn
  • Karanbir Singh

Guests

  • Neal Gompa
  • Kris Knigga
  • Jack Aboutboul
  • Lance Albertson
  • Jonathan Billings
  • Brian Stinson
  • Carl George
  • Glenn Cooper
  • Peter Georg
  • Jefro Osier-Mixon

**Quorum at 22:05**

Agenda

Previous minutes

On-going discussion

  • Quick review of pending issues with Red Hat around the announcement of C8 EoL
    • Blog post published: https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/expanding-red-hat-enterprise-linux-choices-research-and-academia
      Discussion can be now closed.

Issues

https://git.centos.org/centos/board/issues

Issues to be closed (ACTION close all of them if no objection)

  • none

New issues

  • #06 Red Hat majority seat contradiction in governance
    * Required Red Hat employees to have 50 % of the seats
    * Motion to remove this requirement
    * Approved unanimously
    * ACTION: update the website with this change
  • #45 CentOS variant artifacts (ISOs, disk images, etc.) branding
    * Draft messaging at https://hackmd.io/pPixYTZ8QmyJcjoJq_V9dA
    * Thomas: important to handle the lifecycle, changes committed to the document
    * Neal: discussed how Fedora is handling Spin
    * ACTION: Draft message and post it to centos-devel for community comment.
  • #44 Remove former Directors from various accounts and permissions
    * Davide : Document different accesses
    * Johnny : Check with infrastructure team if needed to remove specific accesses.
    * Davide : Add a note on the onboarding document
    * https://git.centos.org/centos/board/blob/master/f/directors/onboarding
  • #27 Providing Official AMIs in Amazon CN regions.
    * Sponsored by David Duncan
    * ACTION: sync with David and infrastructure team.
  • #22 Draft all recent governance changes or ideas for Board discussion
    * Draft has been posted at https://centos.org/about/governance/board/
    * Announced: https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2021-July/077172.html
    * No comment from the community
    * Amy Marrich has volunteered to help with ongoing edits
    * Related: #06
  • #03 Getting official CentOS images into Azure
    * Take down cloud images that violate our trademark (requested to Legal team).
    * It will be tracked in a specific issue to avoid to add to this ticket.
    * Issues #56, #61, #62 track individual images
    * Add official images
    * Jack proposed to help with this task (investigate Azure tools such as https://github.com/microsoft/lisa)
    )
    * ACTION: Move forward with the requirement / track progress
  • #01 Shift Board to be more transparent in support of becoming a contributor-focused open source project
    * Some progress has been made! (This meeting!)
    * Are there other processes that we can make more transparent? Community can raise specific items on this issue.

Issues on hold

  • #04 Definitive answer requested regarding logo design
    * Johnny: talk to the designer and is ready to resume discussion around the logo.
    * Johnny: Not a critical issue if the logo is kept relevant and reminds the existing one.
    * Neal: Current branding is problematic to decline the logo for different use-cases. He Hopes to have more assets and a more polished brand.
    * Pat: Better and free fonts would make sense for an opensource project.
    * A Proposal should be available prior to the next board meeting
    * ACTION: Resume work on the branding

Community Architect updates

  • Dojo CFP still open (4 submissions so far) - https://wiki.centos.org/Events/Dojo/October2021
  • Newsletter: https://blog.centos.org/2021/08/centos-community-newsletter-august-2021/
  • Presence expected at Open Source Summit (Sept 27-29, Seattle) and All Things Open (October 18-20)

AOB

  • Mike : Work on CentOS branded protection masks for All Things Open and Open Source Summit
    • ACTION: No objection, Rich will follow-up

**Adjourned at 22:43**

2 thoughts on “ : Minutes for CentOS Board of Directors for 2021-08-11”
  • Luna Jernberg says:

    Watched the Youtube recording now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDNKlbje2ug for the first public CentOS board meeting missed it live //bittin

  • Paulo says:

    Sou do brasil e uso CentOS em servidores, gostaria de saber se realmente o centos irá ser descontinuado e devemos migrar para o fedora.

  • Please give us your valuable comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *