On 2020-02-12 the CentOS Board of Directors met and discussed several ongoing efforts across the Project.
The opening discussion was around the new work to evolve the project logo and branding identity being conducted in open channels. Overall the Directors really liked the direction the effort is going and were quite pleased with the open nature of the process. What is needed to bring a conclusion and present a final design for the Board’s approval is the completion of the open design discussion and decision process to be conducted in centos-devel.
As the Board is working on adding new Directors and improving governance and transparency, there is an open discussion around the possibility of having a face-to-face meeting of the Board in 2020. This ideally would include an additional day of interactions with other project leadership. One idea floated was to conduct this prior to the CentOS Dojo being planned at CERN in October 2020. At the time of this writing, it is unknown if this Dojo will be affected by COVID-19 related or other travel restrictions.
On another topic, in addition to the focused resources of the Community Platform Engineering (CPE) team that supports the CentOS Project in technical ways, Karsten gave a brief explanation of how the Community Architects from the Red Hat Open Source Program Office (OSPO) are in support of the project, specifically Rich Bowen on the community side, Brian Exelbierd on the business interaction side, and Karsten Wade on the strategic and visionary side.
From the Brussels Dojo, Karsten gave a report out about how he had a meeting room for one-to-one discussions with community members. These discussions were an invitation to talk about what works and doesn’t work for users and contributors around the project; an open office hours to hear out anything. It also served to help get an idea of how and why people use CentOS as a platform. This work is to help inform the CentOS 2020 open goals discussion now underway.
In support of these efforts, the Board came to the following decisions, resolutions, and agreements:
- Logo redesign
- AGREED: Board is requesting Tuomas to lead the discussion on centos-devel toward creating the final /branding redesign proposal for the Board to give final approval on. This process should follow an open decision process of inviting participation, hearing out other ideas, and taking and incorporating feedback on the existing design ideas into the final plan. All this can be done over a reasonable time period of four to eight weeks, so that a decision can be reached that has an opportunity to include voices from across the community.
- Board face-to-face
- AGREED: Board will watch the travel situation with an eye toward deciding yay/nay on the face-to-face as the June timeframe approaches.
- ACTION: Board will request RIch Bowen to coordinate with the Board Secretary on plans for adding meetings around the CERN Dojo.
- Consent items
- Adopt minutes from 2020-01-08 meeting
- Noting that Fabian Arrotin has resigned his role as a CentOS Project Director as of October 2019.
- Rolling (last from 2020-01-08):
- Any other topics aka What other things do you want on our master initiatives list?
- Stepping-up our meeting norms
- Transparency initiatives
Present at the meeting:
- Ralph Angenendt
- Jim Perrin
- Mike McLean
- Karsten Wade (Secretary)
- Johnny Hughes