Dear CentOS enthusiast,
CentOS is more than just code. If you want to contribute in other non-code ways - documentation, design, promotion, events - we want to hear from you. See the "Contributing" section below for more details.
IN THIS EDITION:
This month the infrastructure team has been working hard on getting Centos 8 and CentOS Stream into the CBS (Community Build System). On the 29th, Thomas announced that this work had been completed and detailed what still needs to be done. If you're interested in building packages against either of these targets, you're encouraged to read that mailing list thread thoroughly, and ask any questions you may have there.
Earlier in the month, a meeting was held in Boston including representatives from various parts of Red Hat, discussing what needed to be done internally to facilitate the cooperation between the Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) Engineering and QE teams, and the CentOS community. There too, plenty remains to be done, but we're making progress towards making this a true upstream of RHEL. We appreciate your patience as we make the many changes that are needed to make this a success.
If you're considering using CentOS Stream, either in production, or as a development platform, we'd love to hear from you. We particularly want to hear what we can do better to help you succeed, so that we can make this platform something that serves everyone's needs.
Releases and updates
This month has seen a moderate number of updates/releases:
Errata and Enhancements AdvisoriesWe issued the following CEEA (CentOS Errata and Enhancements Advisories) during October:
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEEA-2019:3080 CentOS 7 kernel Enhancement - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023458.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEEA-2019:3074 CentOS 7 firefox Enhancement - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023487.html
- Tue Oct 22 2019: CEEA-2019:3090 CentOS 6 microcode_ctl Enhancement - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023489.html
- Wed Oct 23 2019: CEEA-2019:3091 CentOS 7 microcode_ctl Enhancement - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023494.html
Errata and Security AdvisoriesWe issued the following CESA (CentOS Errata and Security Advisories) during October:
- Wed Oct 2 2019: CESA-2019:2829 Important CentOS 7 kernel Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023457.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CESA-2019:3067 Important CentOS 7 jss Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023481.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CESA-2019:3055 Important CentOS 7 kernel Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023488.html
- Tue Oct 22 2019: CESA-2019:3158 Moderate CentOS 6 java-1.7.0-openjdk Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023490.html
- Tue Oct 22 2019: CESA-2019:3136 Important CentOS 6 java-1.8.0-openjdk Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023491.html
- Wed Oct 23 2019: CESA-2019:3128 Important CentOS 7 java-1.8.0-openjdk Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023492.html
- Wed Oct 23 2019: CESA-2019:3127 Important CentOS 7 java-11-openjdk Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023493.html
- Wed Oct 23 2019: CESA-2019:2964 Important CentOS 7 patch Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023495.html
- Wed Oct 23 2019: CESA-2019:3157 Moderate CentOS 7 java-1.7.0-openjdk Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023496.html
- Thu Oct 31 2019: CESA-2019:3193 Critical CentOS 7 firefox Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023497.html
- Thu Oct 31 2019: CESA-2019:3210 Important CentOS 7 thunderbird Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023498.html
- Thu Oct 31 2019: CESA-2019:3197 Important CentOS 7 sudo Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023499.html
Errata and Bugfix AdvisoriesWe issued the following CEBA (CentOS Errata and Bugfix Advisories) during October:
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3071 CentOS 7 libguestfs BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023459.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3072 CentOS 7 systemd BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023460.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3066 CentOS 7 sos BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023461.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2017:3387 CentOS 7 pcp BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023462.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3077 CentOS 7 binutils BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023463.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3075 CentOS 7 systemtap BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023464.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3065 CentOS 7 resource-agents BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023465.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3061 CentOS 7 rsyslog BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023466.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3079 CentOS 7 mutter BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023467.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3064 CentOS 7 pki-core BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023468.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3053 CentOS 7 sbd BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023469.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3069 CentOS 7 rear BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023470.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3068 CentOS 7 procps-ng BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023471.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3078 CentOS 7 python-requests BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023472.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3079 CentOS 7 gnome-shell BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023473.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3058 CentOS 7 libreswan BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023474.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3057 CentOS 7 lvm2 BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023475.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3073 CentOS 7 flatpak BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023476.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3060 CentOS 7 accountsservice BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023477.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3081 CentOS 7 firewalld BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023478.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3063 CentOS 7 conntrack-tools BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023479.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3063 CentOS 7 libnetfilter_cthelper BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023480.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3062 CentOS 7 kpatch BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023482.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3054 CentOS 7 hostname BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023483.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3063 CentOS 7 libnetfilter_cttimeout BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023484.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3056 CentOS 7 dnsmasq BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023485.html
- Mon Oct 21 2019: CEBA-2019:3070 CentOS 7 ipa BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-October/023486.html
October was a quiet month for events, but we do have a couple of upcoming events that we want to be sure are on your calendar:
SuperComputing 19, Denver
As you may know, SuperComputing is overwhelmingly powered by CentOS. We'll be at SuperComputing19 in Denver in just a few weeks, hanging out at the Red Hat booth to discuss your SuperComputing and HPC needs.
FOSDEM and the CentOS Dojo
FOSDEM is one of the largest, and oldest, open source gatherings in the world. CentOS has had a presence there for many years, and we plan to be there again in 2020. FOSDEM is, as usual, the first weekend in February (Feb 1-2 2020) in Brussels Belgium.
CentOS expects to have a table in the main exhibitor area (we'll find out for sure in a couple weeks), and, from a content perspective, we encourage you to keep an eye on the distributions devroom, where content relating to CentOS, and other Linux distributions, will be presented.
Also, like every year, we plan to hold our CentOS Dojo on the Friday before FOSDEM - January 31st - at the Marriott Grand Place. Details are on the CentOS wiki. The call for presentations is now open. We want to hear what you're working on which may be of interest to the CentOS community. Have a look at last year's schedule for an idea of what kinds of talks we've run in the past.
The call for presentation closes on November 18th, so that we have time to build the schedule and promote the event a little more widely. So don't wait!
As with any open source project, there's a lot more than just code. If you want to get involved, but you're not a programmer or packager, there's still a ton of places where you can plug in.
- Design - Graphic and design elements for the product itself, the website, materials for events, and so on, are always a great need. This is true of any open source community, where the focus on code can tend to neglect other aspects.
- Events - While CentOS has an official presence at a few events during the year, we want a wider reach. If you're planning to attend an event, and want to represent CentOS in some way, get in touch with us on the centos-promo mailing list to see how we can support you.
- Promotion - The Promo SIG does a lot in addition to just events. This includes this newsletter, our social media presence, blog posts, and various other things. We need your help to expand this effort.
- Documentation - Any open source project is only as good as its documentation. If people can't use it, it doesn't matter. If you're a writer, you are in great demand.
If any of these things are of interest to you, please come talk to us on the centos-devel mailing list, the centos-promo mailing list, or any of the various social media channels.
We look forward to hearing from you, and helping you figure out where you can fit in.