Dear CentOS enthusiast,
Another month into 2019, and we have a lot to tell you about.
CentOS turns 15 this month!
We've been talking with some of the people who have been around since the beginning, and a few that joined us a little later on. And we'll be doing more of these interviews in the coming weeks and months. Here's a few of the interviews about how things have changed over the years.
Greg Kurtzer, who originally founded the project, talks about those early days.
Mike McLean talks a little about the transition over the years after that, and about CentOS joining the Red Hat family.
Brian Stinson talks about his responsibilities in the CentOS infrastructure and CI.
Manuel "Wolfy" Wolfshant talks about the path for someone to get involved in the project by jumping in and doing things that you see need doing.
If you would like to talk about your involvement in CentOS, please get in touch with Rich at email@example.com You don't need to be one of the founders - just to have something interesting to say about your involvement, past, present, and future.
Changes coming to git.centos.org
If you contribute to the CentOS project, you need to be aware of changes that are coming to git.centos.org. To summarize, we're migrating from Gitblit to Pagure, effective April 8th. For the full details, please see this thread on centos-devel, and this new page in the wiki.
Releases and updates
While not as busy as February, we had a number of significant updates released in March.
Errata and Enhancements Advisories
We issued the following CEEA (CentOS Errata and Enhancements Advisories) during March:
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEEA-2019:0507 CentOS 7 shadow-utils Enhancement - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023228.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEEA-2019:0522 CentOS 7 gdm Enhancement - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023244.html
Errata and Security Advisories
We issued the following CESA (CentOS Errata and Security Advisories) during March:
- Wed Mar 6 2019: CESA-2019:0436 Moderate CentOS 7 java-11-openjdk Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023212.html
- Wed Mar 6 2019: CESA-2019:0464 Moderate CentOS 7 java-1.7.0-openjdk Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023214.html
- Fri Mar 8 2019: CESA-2019:0230 Important CentOS 7 polkit Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023215.html
- Mon Mar 11 2019: CESA-2019:0462 Moderate CentOS 6 java-1.7.0-openjdk Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023216.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CESA-2019:0512 Important CentOS 7 kernel Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023218.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CESA-2019:0483 Moderate CentOS 7 openssl Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023219.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CESA-2019:0485 Moderate CentOS 7 tomcat Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023220.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CESA-2019:0482 Moderate CentOS 7 cockpit Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023221.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CESA-2019:0597 Moderate CentOS 7 cloud-init Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023222.html
- Fri Mar 22 2019: CESA-2019:0623 Critical CentOS 6 firefox Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023249.html
- Fri Mar 22 2019: CESA-2019:0622 Critical CentOS 7 firefox Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023250.html
- Mon Mar 25 2019: CESA-2019:0633 Important CentOS 7 ghostscript Security - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023251.html
Errata and Bugfix Advisories
We issued the following CEBA (CentOS Errata and Bugfix Advisories) during March:
- Wed Mar 6 2019: CEBA-2019:0452 CentOS 7 java-1.8.0-openjdk BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023213.html
- Mon Mar 11 2019: CEBA-2019:0479 CentOS 6 java-1.8.0-openjdk BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023217.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0501 CentOS 7 gcc BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023223.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0524 CentOS 7 pcs BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023224.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0517 CentOS 7 xorg-x11-server BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023225.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0504 CentOS 7 util-linux BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023226.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0516 CentOS 7 xfsprogs BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023227.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0499 CentOS 7 resource-agents BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023229.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0496 CentOS 7 tuned BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023230.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0503 CentOS 7 sos BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023231.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0513 CentOS 7 libguestfs BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023232.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0518 CentOS 7 gnutls BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023233.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0506 CentOS 7 pki-core BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023234.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0523 CentOS 7 mutter BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023235.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0498 CentOS 7 rear BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023236.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0502 CentOS 7 sbd BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023237.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0520 CentOS 7 oracleasm BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023238.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0521 CentOS 7 libvirt BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023239.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0500 CentOS 7 nss-pem BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023240.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0508 CentOS 7 ipa BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023241.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0519 CentOS 7 NetworkManager BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023242.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0511 CentOS 7 389-ds-base BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023243.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0509 CentOS 7 dbus BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023245.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0515 CentOS 7 fcoe-utils BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023246.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0505 CentOS 7 jss BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023247.html
- Tue Mar 19 2019: CEBA-2019:0497 CentOS 7 gnome-tweak-tool BugFix - https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2019-March/023248.html
SIGs - Special Interest Groups - are where people work on the stuff that runs on top of CentOS. We have recently started having SIGs report quarterly, so we have just a few of them each month, getting through the entire list every 3 months.
Software Collections SIG
The Software Collections SIG reports a slow quarter, which is expected. Red Hat collections, from which this SIG builds, are released twice a year. This naturally leads to every other quarter being fairly silent.
Platform as a Service SIG
The PaaS SIG also reports a slow quarter. The main citizen of this SIG, OpenShift, is moving many of their components to containers, leaving less for the SIG to do.
However, there are some potential projects coming up. And, as always, there's lots of room for new contributors to come in and work on areas that interest them. Please do show up on the mailing list, or the IRC channel, to discuss what you'd like to work on.
In two weeks, we'll be running a CentOS Dojo at Oak Ridge National Labs (ORNL), where we'll be featuring talks focused on the kind of scientific research computing that goes on there. You can see the schedule of speakers and sessions on the event website.
However, we have sold out all of the space at this event, and so registration is now closed.
At the end of the month, CentOS will be at the Open Infrastructure Summit (formerly known as OpenStack Summit), in Denver, in the community pod of the Red Hat booth. Come see us!
And we're ramping up towards Red Hat Summit, where we will be in the Community Central portion of the expo hall! This is one of our biggest events of the year, and we'd love to see you there, in Boston!
And, coming up, we're planning to run a CentOS Dojo in Boston, on the day before DevConf.US. The call for presentations is open, and we want to hear from you! Talks about anything you're doing in, on, or around CentOS is fair game. Submit your talks HERE.
Contributing to CentOS Pulse
We are always on the look-out for people who are interested in helping to:
- report on CentOS community activity
- provide a report from the SIG on which you participate
- maintain a (sub-)section of the newsletter
- write an article on an interesting person or topic
- provide the hint, tip or trick of the month
Please see the page with further information about contributing. You can also contact the Promotion SIG, or just email Rich directly (firstname.lastname@example.org) with ideas or articles that you'd like to see in the next newsletter.